A friend gave me a vintage Gladstone for my birthday, but since she knows little to nothing about an authentic vintage Dooney and Bourke handbag I thought I would contact you for the characteristics of the R90 Gladstone. I have searched your site and found a duffel and the lovely one you sold but it’s so hard to always tell and I cannot find a catalog. I will try to form my questions so you can answer most in a yes or no or short answer response to save you time.
- Approximate year DB started making the R90 Gladstone
- Were any made during the pretag timeframe of the early 80”s
- Was the duck on the logo always very rounded (meaning his belly) or were some a little more flat
- Was Dooney and Bourke imprinted on all zipper pulls or hardware or
- Was zipper pulls with “YKK” ever used
- On the inside did all Gladstone’s have a strap that snap across the pockets
Your birthday gift is indeed an authentic vintage Dooney & Bourke Gladstone. As far as what model it is, I can’t say for sure since you did not send any measurements. But it appears to be the Small Gladstone R90.
On to your questions.
- Approximate year DB started making the R90 Gladstone –
The oldest catalog I have is 1992 and the Gladstones in that catalog have the duck FOB so yours was made prior to that.
- Were any made during the pretag timeframe of the early 80”s –
Yes, we currently have one in the store from that era (see photo below)
3. Was the duck on the logo always very rounded (meaning his belly) or were some a little more flat –
Many of the older ones are flat
4. Was Dooney and Bourke imprinted on all zipper pulls or hardware –
5. Was zipper pulls with “YKK” ever used –
6 On the inside did all Gladstone’s have a strap that snap across the pockets –
No, there have been a variety of pockets over the years, some with snap, zip, slip and some with the overstrap with tab.
This blog is a labor of love of vintage All Weather Leather Dooneys and I am always glad to help with identifying and authenticating bags free of charge. It is my way of contributing to the knowledge base out there in hopes it helps prevent fraudulent sales from occurring.
Many of the answers are already on our website or this blog, so enjoy your browsing !
If you are selling your Dooneys, the process is outlined here
You can always buy authentic Dooney & Bourke bags on our website.