We are passionate about vintage All Weather Leather Made in the USA Dooney & Bourke handbags, wallets and other items which we sell in the Dooney section of our website. We do not sell on eBay – just on our own website.
Therefore, if you have a question about a vintage AWL item, we would be happy to post your question on this blog with our answer. We get many questions each week so I have created some general replies in response to your questions. When you write, you’ll likely get a form reply just to save us all time.
The types of questions we WILL answer include:
1. If you wonder if an AWL bag you own is authentic. We will not appraise the bag or give you a value for it. But we usually can authenticate a bag from 3-5 good photos: an overall photo of the front and back showing the strap, an interior shot, a picture of the bottom, a picture of any tags. You can use a listing on our website for photo guidance.
For example: this small Essex – click on it and you will see some photo ideas
2. If you own a bag and you are thinking of listing it on eBay or etsy or somewhere else…….and you wonder if it is authentic before you list it,….write us. (We particularly love to help here to prevent people from selling/buying counterfeit Dooney items – eBay is flooded with them and in spite of us writing many sellers personally and/or reporting the counterfeit items to eBay, there is nothing done about it. So buyer beware on eBay !!!)
BY THE WAY – we do not sell on eBay so if you ever see a bag with a listing that looks like one of our web pages, complete with our copyrighted chart and info, please know that it is someone who has illegally copied and pasted our material to use for their eBay listing. If you would write me with either the item number or the URL when you see something like that, I would greatly appreciate it !! Here is our contact page
The types of questions we DO NOT answer are questions related to:
1. A bag you want to buy on eBay or etsy or another internet site (we don’t want to get entangled between you and a seller PLUS we have a Dooney store where we sell authentic bags !)
2. Fabric bags
3. Leather bags that are not All Weather Leather.
4. Questions related to “what’s my bag worth”. Putting a value on a bag we can’t see, hold, and sniff is just impossible.
There is nothing like a vintage All Weather Leather Dooney & Bourke handbag. Once you have owned one and see the quality of materials and workmanship, it is hard to choose anything else.
Here is one of my personal bags – a solid black large Horseshoe bag – that goes to town with me every time.
Hello! I just found your wonderful website and blog, and am hoping you can help me identify my Dooney & Bourke bag. It was a gift in the 1980s, and it looks very similar to the vintage Zipper Clutch you have on your site. It is all-weather leather, black and tan, with a “Dooney & Bourke, Inc. Made in U.S.A.” tag inside, with the number A1759857 on the other side of the tag. It has a outer pocket/sleeve on each side. I haven’t used it for years, and in cleaning out my closet, came across it and got curious about it. If you have time, may I send you photos?
Thank you! I know how busy you are, and I appreciate it.
1. Bag was received as a gift in the late 1980s (I’m too old to remember exact year!).
2. Bag is black and tan, all-weather leather (black leather is pebbled, tan is smooth).
3. Bag dimensions are approx. 10 3/4 inches long x 7 inches tall x 2 1/2 inches deep (measuring across bottom).
4. Bag has a metal zipper (pull tab on zipper says “Dooney & Bourke”), two outer pockets/sleeves (one on each side), two inside pockets/sleeves (one zippered with a metal zipper; the other open but with a leather tab that closes over a metal button).
5. The strap is quite long and attaches on each side of the purse to brass D-rings; the straps are removable.
6. Hardware – the zippers (inner and outer) are metal, and the purse hardware is brass; there is a fob with the duck logo that says “Dooney & Bourke All-Weather Leather,” and the grommets or rivets that attach the straps to the body of the purse also say (very tiny) “Dooney Bourke.”
7. Label – the label says “Dooney & Bourke, Inc. Made In U.S.A.” (label itself is white-ish, letters are blue, and they are surrounded by a red border); the back of the label says A1759857.
Any info. you can provide would be great and most appreciated!
Yes this is an authentic Zipper Clutch R20 and in great shape !
- Water-resistant material used for clothing, traditionally in Austria. It is made from sheep’s wool where the lanolin has not been removed.
- A greyish green color typical of such garments as above.
So exactly what Dooney & Bourke had in mind, we can only guess. The bags are water resistant and some are kind of a greyish green, but not all.
Your bag is part of the Outback and Loden Collection. They are grouped together since they both have the signature brass toggle and braided loop closure.
The Loden bags don’t appear in many of the vintage catalogs, so they must have had a short life.
Yours is a Loden Shoulder Bag R87
9″ tall x 11 /4″ wide x 3 1/2″ deep.
It retailed for $275 in 1996.
As far as the number on the back of your tag that were entering in google. That is your bag’s individual registration number. So you would not find it on the internet.
Enjoy your great find !
To see more wonderful vintage Dooney & Bourke handbags and accessories, visit our store at. Horsekeeping Vintage Dooneys
I’ve been reading your website and hoping you could help me. I purchased a vintage Dooney and while I’m confident it’s authentic, I’m hoping to try to find a date for it. It is an all-brown A6 zip top shoulder bag and in impeccable condition!! I’ve read a few articles, specifically about the zipper, that lead me to believe it’s rarer than some others of the same style.
The zipper is a small round zipper, circular with a hole in the middle, and reads “riri.” I can’t find a date of production but I found an article stating these bags are rare. Can you confirm that?
The inner tag reads A6 254983 on the underside and I was also hoping you could help me date it using the numbers.
Thank you in advance,
First of all, I have never heard of a Dooney & Bourke bag with the number A6.
Nor of one with the name “Zip Top Shoulder Bag”. Dooney & Bourke names are very specific and while there are Zip-Top bags and Shoulder Satchels, I don’t know of a “Zip Top Shoulder Bag”. If you could provide the source for your information, it would be interesting.
Your “all brown” bag has the official Dooney & Bourke color designations of
Saddle Tan with British Tan trim.
Your bag is an R719 Vintage Zipper Case. This bag first appeared in 1996 as far as I know. It had a name change to Large Zip-Top (keeping the same number) sometime between 1996-1999. Here is an example of a bag just like yours. You can click on the photo to see all details.
As far as zippers, the riri zippers are made with heavy metal teeth and tabs and the only R719 bags I have seen have all had the metal riri zipper. Similar Dooney bags, such as the Classic Zip Top, do have plastic zippers. Can you provide the URL for the article about the rarity of the metal zippers – it might be interesting to other Dooney enthusiasts.
As far as the date of manufacture, your bag is part of the “Vintage Collection” which first appears in my Holiday 1996 catalog. It might have been released before then but not before Summer 1994. It does not appear in the Summer 1994 catalog or any catalogs prior to that date. The Summer 1994 only shows the Classic Zip Top bags with the duck seal sewn onto the bag in the conventional fashion like this. Click on this photo to see more about the Classic Zip Top.
If you want to find out when and where your bag was manufactured, using the registration number, you will need to contact Dooney & Bourke customer service. Depending on who you get on the phone, you may or may not find the answer to your question. When I call, I get the feeling the employees are better versed in the new bags being made in China than the vintage bags. Some don’t seem to know how to access the historic databases.
Their website is Dooney & Bourke where you will find their contact information.
Best of luck in your further research and please share anything you find.
And YES, you got a GREAT bag!!!
I recently picked up an AWL Dooney & Bourke purse in what I think is pretty good shape. It caught my eye at the thrift store on half price day, plus it has all of the identifiers of a legitimate D&B AWL. You seem like a very knowledgeable person and I’d love it if I could send you some pictures so that you could take a look and maybe tell me some more about it? At any rate, your website already helped me to know what to look for when I was deciding whether or not to buy it.
Your cute little Dooney & Bourke bag is called “The Little Bag” R133 and is indeed authentic.
6 1/2″ tall by 6 1/2″ wide and 2 1/5″ deep at the base.
Although the shoulder strap is adjustable, it is not removable like most other Dooney & Bourke vintage All Weather Leather bags.
It has one slip pocket on the inside and one on the outside on the back.
Brass arrowhead push button closure on the front.
The original retail price of this bag was $98.
Made in the USA – yeah !!!
Yours looks in good condition and has a nice FOB and unsnipped tag. Way to go girl !
I just bought a Dooney and Bourke all weather leather handbag today at a thriftstore. I browsed your site and everything seems legit. I was wondering if you could tell me how much its worth. The serial number is a4 308883.
I attached some pictures.
Thank you and have a great day.
The bag you bought is a P81 Mini Rectangular Surrey like this one.
It cost $195 when new.
As far as current value, condition is everything. I didn’t see the condition of the shoulder strap and whether your bag had the brass duck FOB both of which would affect value. Since your bag has the stain on the front left corner and pen marks inside, if it were in our store, it would be rated a 6 and be put in the Grab Bag section. I’d expect your bag would bring about $20-30 on eBay if it had no odors of smoke, perfume or mustiness.
What is the Grab Bag section at www.horsekeeping.com ?
Some Grab Bags have all the Dooney & Bourke authenticating factors, others might be missing a FOB or a sewn in tag with serial number. To the best of our knowledge, each and every bag in this section is an authentic Dooney & Bourke handbag except, of course, for the other bags that are in our “NOT Dooney & Bourke” section.
In some cases, the red, white and blue interior tag has been snipped or cut out. We have been told that some outlet stores must do this to sell the purses at a greatly reduced price.
We also put bags here that have more wear or darkening than normal, but we point out all the defects and list them at a very low price. We hope you might find one for a refurbishing project or one that will work as an extra bag for the tack room of your horse trailer or for transporting those special bits or spurs to the show.
Although we have vacuumed the interiors of each bag, aired them, and given them a preliminary cleaning, Grab Bags sometimes need a thorough cleaning, which we will leave up to you.
But getting back to yours Cheyenne, it is a 100% authentic Dooney & Bourke All Weather Leather bag, Made in USA and with many years of good service left in it. Its value lies in its durability and usefulness. And I’ll bet you got it at a bargain price.